Highland Middle School
I. Course Description: Technology Education
This is a Semester course designed to be an introduction to Technology. In this class, the students will work individually and with partners using various projects with computer software such as West Point Bridge Builder, Google SketchUp, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Publisher. Some areas covered will be structures such as bridges, posters, rocket science such as water bottle rockets and flight technology such as right flyer airplanes. Although appropriate instruction in the safe operation of equipment is provided, and close supervision is maintained at all times; there is always inherent risk involved with the use of tools due to the nature of the experience, the age of the students, and the learning environment.
II. The aims and objectives for the courses are:
• develop an appreciation of the significance of technology for life, society and the environment
• use knowledge, skills and techniques to create products/solutions of appropriate quality
• develop problem‑solving, critical- and creative‑thinking skills through the application of the design cycle
• develop respect for others’ viewpoints and appreciate alternative solutions to problems
• use and apply information and communication technology (ICT) effectively as a means to access, process and communicate information, and to solve problems.
III. Role of the Areas of Interaction in Technology Education
The areas of interaction will be at the core of the teaching of Concepts of Engineering Technology curriculum atl. The Career and Technical Education department will map the areas of interaction for all units taught during the school year.
AOI’s are as follows:
Approaches to Learning
Community and Service
Health and Social Education
IV. Texts and resources
Reference books and material are located in the classroom, library and on the internet.
V. Teaching Methodology
Editing and Correcting
VI. Methods of Assessment
Knowledge of Activity