Chisholm Trail High School Visual Art Department
ART 1, Art 1 PAP, Photography 2, Photography 3 PAP, AP 2D Design
Welcome to the amazing adventure that is visual arts! I hope you are excited to be a Ranger! You will experience at least 9 different media areas throughout our year together. You will be well versed in the elements of art and principles of design. You will learn to think, speak and most importantly, see like an artist! There will be many opportunities to compete in contests with your artwork! You and I have a great adventure ahead of us during the next 10 months, and I can’t wait to see what you bring along with you!
You may contact me via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 817-232-7112 x7114
In order for us to be safe, physically and emotionally, during this adventure you must adhere to the following expectations for conduct and work ethic.
1. Be on time, prepared and in your seat, working on the launch assignment, when the bell rings.
2. Talk only at appropriate times using appropriate language.
3. Any device will be silenced and used only for music with headphones, or for educational purposes.
4. Respect all art materials and equipment.
5. Respect others ideas and opinions.
6. If it’s not yours, don’t touch it!
Consequences for not following the expectations: (Because for every choice you make, there is a consequence)
1. Verbal/Written Warning
2. Conference with the teacher
3. Parent/guardian contact and detention
4. Referral to the office
Severe disruptions will constitute an immediate referral.
Class Procedures for room 206
· Before you enter the room:Use the restroom. Get a drink. Be on time to class! Once you step in this room, your precious time begins! Use it wisely!
· When you enter the classroom:Read the whiteboard or screen to determine what your daily agenda is. Get out your supplies that are needed for the period. Put your backpack under the table. When you are finished, look and listen for instructions.
·If you are tardy:CTHS tardy policy will be followed in my classroom.
·BYOD (Bring your own device):When you enter the room, your device is to be silenced. They are to be used respectfully and courteously. They are only to be used for project research, images for references for projects, taking pictures of your artwork for upload, and listening to music with ear buds when given permission ----Not for personal use or communication during class.
·If you do not have your materials :You are expected to be prepared for class every day. If you are not, you may exchange your ID for a supply to use, and you must return it at the end of class.
· When I raise my hand and say “CLASS” or “OK”This is your signal to STOP what you are doing, LOOK at me and LISTEN for instructions. You may not leave your seat or the classroom during this time. I will only stop the class for instructions, demonstrations, and if I see something that is super cool, and I need the class to see it. This is my time to let you know what is expected of you.
·While you are working:
STAY IN YOUR SEAT!!
I will walk around during the class period. If you have a question or need help, raise your hand. If it is a question about the assignment, ask someone around you. I will come to you when I can.
· · If you need to use the restroom:
You may only ask to go after I have given instructions for the class. If I notice that it becomes an everyday occurrence, I will revoke your restroom privileges. You must use the designated restroom pass.
· How to label your work:On the back of the paper, you will write your first and last name, period number, and date in the top left hand corner on all assignments.What to do during a demonstration:
You will gather around where I am sitting. This is when I show you what is expected, a new technique, or a new media. Remember, there is no talking during instructions or demonstrations.
· Late Work:The District Secondary Grading policy on late work will be followed.If you are absent:If you know of an upcoming absence, or have returned from an absence, it is your responsibility to talk with me about make up work.
· If you finish your work early:Make sure you have labeled your artwork, it is turned into the correct location, and your mess is cleaned up.You may not- just sit there, walk around the room aimlessly, horseplay, or chat with people who are still working.You can draw, sketch, journal, research images for another project, sharpen class pencils, clean sinks, or complete an art critique sheet.Remember every minute you have in here is precious-use them wisely.
· End of Class:This is the last 5 minutes of class. When I say class, you will stop, look and listen for instructions. You will clean your area, return all supplies to the correct place, put your work in your cabinet, gather your things, and sit down on your stool. We will discuss what we did that day and what needs to happen tomorrow to be successful.Dismissal:
I will dismiss you when all table members are sitting quietly on his/her stool; all tables are clean and ready to go for the next class. Mrs. Hanna will dismiss you, not the school bell.We will rehearse these procedures continually. You will learn procedures for handling different materials as the need arises.
My goal is for you to have a safe, consistent, successful year in art. We must follow these procedures for this to happen; your success in this room depends on it.Thank you!