AQR Parent LettersCanvas CommunicationParent Letter
Canvas Learning Management System
As part of our commitment to Aspire 2022’s Strategic Objective to equip students with innovative technological skills to compete and contribute in a constantly evolving global society, Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD is utilizing Canvas, a learning management system. Recently, the system has been adopted by notable higher education institutions, including UT-Austin, Baylor, SMU, Harvard, as well as other Texas school districts. Canvas has also been adopted by education service center, Region 11, which provides professional development and educational support for school districts in our region including EMSISD.
Canvas provides an online solution for teachers to upload lesson content, provide online assessments, and allow for communication and collaboration. Canvas is a digital learning environment that can manage multiple aspects of the learning process. Over time, throughout the training and implementation process, Canvas can become a platform for blended learning opportunities for students, and professional learning opportunities for EMSISD teachers and staff. Use of a learning management system can provide a way for teachers to connect digital tools in one essential location.
For the 2015-2016 school year, the district is following an implementation plan to ensure the effective roll-out of Canvas in Eagle Mountain Saginaw which utilizes Canvas at the Secondary level for teachers and students. Elementary implementation for this school year will focus on teacher use of Canvas to access for instructional resources, Professional Learning Communities, and professional learning.
The initial phase of Canvas implementation includes:
· Campus communication of expectations
· Instructional technology roll out of Office 365 student accounts
· Secondary Student Canvas Account Implementation
As campuses become more proficient in the many capabilities of Canvas offerings, teachers and students can use Canvas to:
· Align assignments to standards and use applications to gather formative assessment data
· Utilize integrated web tools within the Canvas interface
· Provide students with written, audio, or video feedback, peer-review, multiple revision/ submission opportunities
· Send push-notifications to students
· Interact with class content, assignments, quizzes
· Share documents
· Build ePortfolios
· Track student progress with teacher feedback tools
· Receive course announcements on preferred devices
· Collaborate via system messaging
The first year of Canvas implementation will give teachers adequate time to build courses and add components for student learning. Through time, teachers will develop more tools for parents to support student learning. In this first year of implementation, secondary parents may access Canvas via their students’ accounts.
If you have any questions concerning the use of CANVAS, please feel free to contact your student’s teachers or campus administration so that we may assist.
Have a wonderful day!
Dr. Dana Barnes
Chisholm Trail High School