• Money can be added to your student's lunch account by sending money to school or adding money online.


    Eagle Mountain Saginaw ISD Students & Parents,

    Depositing Funds on Student Meal Accounts:

    The cafeteria serving lines are automated and all student information is in the computer.   This makes it easy for parents to deposit money in their child’s BANK-A-MEAL account for meals and a la carte foods.  As students “purchase” meals that amount is debited from that account.  We also offer pre-payment from debit and credit cards using the on-line web www.myschoolbucks.com.

    How Bank-A-Meal works:

    Put a check or cash in the BANK-A-MEAL envelope.  Fill in the requested information. If two or more of your children are at the same school and you want divide the money between those children be sure to list the names of all your children at that school.  Be sure to use a separate envelope for students at different schools.

    The envelope should be brought back to school and given to the cashier for deposit into the account. The best time to do this is at breakfast time so that it would be in the account by lunch.  The cashier will use the information on the envelope to deposit the money into the account.

    The money in the account can only be spent in the cafeteria. Only when a purchase is made will money be deducted from the account. This is a personal account and no one else should be given permission to use it.

    When an account gets low, a new BANK-A-MEAL envelope will be sent home for a deposit to be sent.  If the account is out of money in an elementary school your child will be allowed to charge 3 meals, after that they will receive an alternate meal for 3 days only, so that no student will go hungry. Students will not be allowed to charge any a la carte items.

    Elementary schools do sell a la carte items (water, ice cream, etc) that the students are able to purchase.  If you do not want your child to purchase a la carte items you can ask the cafeteria manger to block these sales on your child’s account.

    Money remaining in any account at the end of the school year can remain in the account for the next school year, or parents may write a note requesting that the money be refunded.  Money will be transferred from school to school within the school district.

    The students on the free & reduced lunch program may deposit money into their account for a la carte, snack or extra foods. 

    The BANK-A-MEAL programs at the secondary schools work the same with the exception that personal ID numbers are used to access their accounts. Students should memorize their number and not allow anyone else to use their number.  

    There is one charge allowed in the secondary schools for a plate meal.

    If you need information concerning your child’s account please contact the Child Nutrition Manager at the school.  A report can be printed upon request for any account after serving time each day.              

    How myschoolbucks.com works:

    You may add payments directly to your children’s lunch account using your Visa or MasterCard debit or credit card.  You can access this web site from work or home when you cannot go to the school to deposit money into your child’s account.   You will need your student’s school ID number and exact spelling of your student’s name as it appears on the district enrollment. You may also track your children’s account balance using this secure web site.  Visit http://www.myschoolbucks.com for more information. 

    Please contact the Child Nutrition Office at (817) 232-0880 if you have any questions or concerns. 


    In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, and reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible State or local Agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information is available in languages other than English. To file a complaint alleging discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 fax: (202) 690-7442; or email: program.intake@usda.gov. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.