Lone Star Champs 2016-2017
What is the Lone Star Reading List?
The Lone Star Reading List is a selection of 20 novels compiled by a committee of Texas teachers and librarians, for students 6th-8th grades. I have also added titles for even more diversity (Lone Star Plus). These titles are not intended to support the curriculum, but rather to encourage students to read a wide variety of literature.
EMS-ISD Lone Star Reading Incentive
Each year, EMS-ISD middle school students are offered the opportunity to participate in a Lone Star Reading Extravaganza! Any student who reads at least 10 of the books on the list is eligible to go on a Lone Star field trip at the end of the school year. The trip is completely free to qualifying students. Stay tuned for more details!Also - this incentive is offered throughout EMS ISD middle schools, so if you switch to another EMS school in the middle of the year, you can still participate!
How can you participate?
- Read at least 10 books from the Lone Star and Lone Star Plus list.
- As you complete each book, visit the library to take your 10-question Lone Star quiz. Be sure to read carefully and take your quiz as soon as possible after you finish the book (so it is fresh in your memory). You must score at least 80% on the quiz in order to count towards your 10 LS books read.
- Repeat with your next LS book choice!
More about the Lone Star Plus Reading Incentive:
1. Participation in this program is totally voluntary. Students are not required to participate.
2. Books do not have to come from EWMS library! You may use your local public library or purchase your own copies from bookstores. E-books are also acceptable. The EWMS library has purchased several copies of each Lone Star Plus book.
3. You may start any time--summer is a great time to read!!!