Social Media 101
Should I allow my child to have a social media account?
And many others…
What you need to know:
- All of the above require users to be 13 years or older.
- *Four of the above have been deemed as dangerous for teens.
- Many elementary students already have an account with one or all of these social media websites/apps.
How can you keep your children safe online?
- Never let your child surf the internet alone. Supervise them at all times.
- Know every account/app your child is using or has on their phone/tablet/etc.
- Know the password for every account, app, email, etc. your child ever owns or uses. As a parent, you have the right to know what your children are doing online and who they are talking to.
- Never allow your child to “friend” anyone they do not personally know.
- Plug technology in at bedtime in a safe spot, like a parent’s bedroom. For more info, read the following article. Stay informed! http://fun.familyeducation.com/social-networking/cyberbullying/74548.htmlOpens a New Window.
- For some social media accounts deemed most dangerous in 2017, click here.
Helpful sites to learn more about how to keep your child safe on the internet and social media:
commonsense.org Go to then choose from the drop down menu at the top
guardingkids.com Go to