2020-2021 Courses and Schedule Info
There will be no more change requests after 9/3/20.
We normally accept these changes through the first week of school. We gave an additional week due to our extraordinary circumstances.
Course change requests are very limited in fall.
Students may only request a schedule change after June 19 if:
- The student is changing their sport with the approval of all coaches involved.
- The student would like to move into or out of an ADV/PAP/AP, OnRamps, or Dual Credit course prior to the first day of school.
- The student is no longer participating in an co-curricular course such as athletics, band, choir, Starsteppers, JROTC, etc.
- The senior is wanting a release period who did not get it requested in the spring. (Subject to eligibility)
- The student applied for Choice Remote and needs to drop an IN-PERSON ONLY course
The form is no longer available after 9/3/20.
Release Period and Office Assistant
If you are wanting release periods or to be an office assistant, you need to complete a form prior to any schedule change will be made.
- 2021 seniors who are eligible for a release period must also complete a separate form. Please download and fill out the form and email it to your counselor. Click here for the 2020-2021 Application for Release Periods form.
- 2021 juniors and seniors who are eligible to be an office or library assistant must also complete a separate form. Please download and fill out the form and email it to Mrs. Ludlow (firstname.lastname@example.org). Click here for the 2020-2021 Office Assistant Application form.
Please note that these applications must be downloaded/saved to your computer (desktop seems to work best), fill in the information, save the form again, then email it.
Due to our COVID-19 restrictions, our timeline for schedule requests and course change requests has changed. Please see new dates below.
If desired, students may submit a Skyward schedule request through their Skyward Arena Scheduling tab per the following schedule:
- May 18: Current Juniors
- May 19: Current Sophomores
- May 20: Current Freshmen
- May 21: Current 8th graders
Students have the option to allow counselors to create their schedule. If they choose to have the schedule built for them, they do not need to do anything more. Counselors will automatically schedule/complete all incomplete schedule requests.
The window to make course changes for 2020-2021 school year schedule was June 15-19.
Many classes and lunches are full. You are requesting a change to a course, not periods; your change should be based on your graduation plan and plans for your future. Unfortunately, we are not able to let you know what is available what periods because it will change as requests are made. Make sure you look at your schedule in Skyward before making a change request. Changes have been made since May. Go to your student access, schedule, click on display options, and select next year. Please remember that this may not be your final schedule since schedules may be adjusted due to class leveling and/or classes that still may move, close, or open.
No elective/discretionary changes can be made after June 19.
In order to help you understand the reasoning behind all of this, please read the following explanatory information.
As you know, Personalized Course Selection is a multi-step process with different windows of time.
- Planning: Students select courses and develop a 4-year high school plan with the help of counselors and other school advisors. This starts in 8th grade and goes through fall semester of 9th grade.
- Course Requests: Students review and submit their course requests for the following school year. This starts in fall and goes through early February each year.
- Schedule Requests: Students submit their request for their preferred schedule. This happens in April or May.
- Change Requests: Students request any changes they would like to make to the previously requested courses. This window is in June.
In late February through April, the campus master schedule is built based on the number of course requests that are in the system. The numbers of sections, seats, etc. are all built based on these student requests and available staff.
When students make a request for a change in June, they are limited to the availability of seats and whether or not the requested change works in their schedule. Not all requests are able to be honored. We have a finite number of staff who have a set number of sections they can teach and a limited amount of space in those sections. This means that some classes may be filled/closed.
Due to summer staff changes, some changes may be made to the order of the courses in some students' schedules. This is because some sections may have had to move or close, and some new sections may have opened requiring us to move some students out of an old section or into a new section. This can sometimes happen through early fall.
When a counselor has to select a class for a student due to a hole in the schedule, she looks carefully at 1) personal graduation plan/career planner and 2) what is available. In most cases, she will try to reach the student to ask for preferred courses to complete the schedule.