Doors Open at 7:05
First Bell 7:25
School Start time/Tardy Bell 7:30
Dismissal Bell 2:40
1st Grade: 11-11:30
2nd Grade: 12-12:30
3rd Grade: 11:30-12
4th Grade: 1-1:30
5th Grade: 12:30-1
Student Drop-Off and Pick-Up
We work very hard each year to help our students understand that there are rules and procedures that must be followed every day. We appreciate your cooperation in following these rules and procedures as well! Our school day begins at 7:30 a.m. and ends at 2:40 p.m.
Students should be dropped off at the front door in the morning. These doors will be unlocked at 7:05 am. Please do not drop off before this time. Those arriving before 7:25 will report to their designated areas (cafeteria for breakfast or classroom).
Buses will use the drive in the back of the school for drop-off each day. Please do not use this drive in the morning.
Kindergarteners and their siblings who are car riders should be picked up in the front of the school. 1st through fifth grade car-riders should be picked up at the back of the building. All students not riding a bus or walking home will be dismissed from this area. You will be asked to display your child’s name on your visor each afternoon. These visor cards will be provided by your child’s teacher and are extremely important in facilitating a speedy pickup. Please be aware that this is a one-way drive. Another reminder: there is a “no left turn” sign posted for this drive during pick-up time, so you may find it easier to go all the way to Huffines and approach the school from the opposite end of Westgate.
Bus riders will be picked up in the loop at the far west end of the building. This drive is for buses only.
Students who ride with a daycare will be dismissed through the front doors each afternoon.
Walkers and bike riders will be dismissed through the gym in order to provide easier access to the sidewalk. If you are in a vehicle, please do not park in the front of the school or along Westgate/Gavalin and ask that your child be released as a walker (the number of parents doing this increases every year; doing this interrupts the flow of traffic and is very dangerous). Parent pick-up is in the back of the school. If you are coming into the building to pick up your child, you will always be required to show your ID. Reminder: if you want an early dismissal for your student, please arrive before 2:25 p.m.
***If you walk up to meet your child in the afternoon, please remain outside the gym door and the teachers will dismiss the students to you. This will allow us to better monitor the dismissal of our students.
Thank you for your cooperation in helping us to dismiss our students in a safe and orderly manner.
***On days when the weather is extremely wet, all front doors will be open. Monitors will be on duty by each door.
The faculty and staff at Greenfield Elementary feel that regular attendance and punctuality are important to success in school and are also qualities of a good citizen. Section II of the Student Handbook contains information for students and parents regarding absences/attendance. Please review this information carefully.
The school day for Greenfield students begins at 7:30 each morning. The doors to the building open with the 7:05 bell. The next bell rings at 7:25 and students are permitted to enter the classroom at this time. Students are considered tardy if they are not in the building when the 7:30 bell rings.
*** Students who eat breakfast in the cafeteria are considered tardy if they are not in the classroom when the 7:30 bell rings. Dismissal time for students is 2:40.
1. For our records, we ask that you send a written note upon your child’s return to school with an explanation of the absence. A phone call is not necessary. Make-up assignments will be made available to students after any absence, however, the student will be responsible for finding out about the assignments and completing them within 2 days of returning to class.
2. Parents are encouraged to schedule medical and dental appointments before or after school. When this is not possible, an official excuse from the doctor or dentist will be required in order for the tardy or absence to be excused.
The temporary absence, according to School Board Policy, will not be counted as an absence if the student begins classes or returns to school on the same day of the appointment and satisfactorily completes all missed assignments. REMEMBER: An excuse from the doctor will be required.
3. Students are expected to be in the building before the 7:30 bell. Students not in the building at this time will receive a tardy slip from the front desk. Unfortunately, students with three unexcused tardies in a nine-week period will not be eligible for perfect attendance awards at the end of the nine weeks.
**ALL tardies, with the exception of medical and dental appointments, are unexcused.
**Unexcused absences include days or parts of days so excessive tardies or early dismissals could eventually require a meeting with the campus attendance committee.
4. Every student enrolled in school is expected to attend on a regular basis.
Students who have perfect attendance during a nine weeks period will be recognized. Students who have perfect attendance for the school year will receive an attendance medal and those with good attendance (no more than two absences) will receive a certificate.
We need your help in getting your child to school and in getting them to school on time! If you have questions or concerns, please call the Greenfield office at 817-237-0357.
Thank you for your help and cooperation. Being at school and on time is so critical for student success!
Building Security, Visitation, and Dismissals
Building security and student safety are a top priority at Greenfield Elementary. We want our campus to be a place where visitors feel welcome, however for this to happen in a safe manner, we have established guidelines to help ensure that unauthorized visitors are not entering our building.
- Anyone who is not an employee at Greenfield and plans to go anywhere in the building beyond the office must wear a printed badge between the hours of 7:05 - 2:45. You will receive your badge when your driver's license is scanned in the front office.
- Visitors for lunch must follow the guidelines listed above. Siblings accompanying parents to lunch must be supervised at all times.
- If a teacher has requested your assistance as a volunteer, you must have an approved volunteer form on file. A new form must be completed each year. No other children (younger or older) will be allowed to accompany you while you assist in the classroom.
- If someone other than those listed on the student registration form is going to pick up your child from school, we must receive prior written notice from you. You will then be contacted by the office for verification. The person picking up the student must present a driver’s license for identification.
- If you need to pick up your child early from school, you will need to do so before 2:25. This will allow adequate time for us to locate your child and for them to retrieve and pack up their belongings. Sending a note to the teacher in the morning will facilitate this process.
- You need to set up an appointment to speak to your child’s teacher(s) when you have concerns. Teachers begin class immediately after opening their door for students each morning and have duties, training, meetings, etc. before and after school which they are required to attend. By setting an appointment to discuss your concerns, the teacher can ensure that you have his/her undivided attention and that your concerns can be addressed in an appropriate manner. This also eliminates unnecessary interruptions to our students’ learning time.
- Your child needs to arrive on time. This is very, very important because we begin instruction immediately each day. If you drop your child off in the morning after the 7:30 bell, you will need to accompany them into the office where they will receive a tardy slip.
- After Friday, August 24, parents will no longer be permitted to walk students to their classrooms in the morning. Parents are welcome to walk children up to the foyer located by the front door and say good-bye there. It is not possible for us to monitor visitors during this time if we allow everyone the freedom to walk the building. After one week of school, we believe that all students should be ready to follow procedures on their own.
Thank you for your help and cooperation in following these guidelines. We want our students to be safe and we want to take advantage of all learning time!
Visitors to the School (Student Handbook)
General visitors, parents, and others are welcome to visit district schools. For the safety of those within the school and to avoid disruption of instructional time, all visitors must first report to the main office and comply with all applicable district policies and procedures. When arriving on campus, all parents and other visitors should be prepared to show identification. Prearranged visits to individual classrooms during instructional time are permitted only with approval of the principal and teacher and only so long as their duration or frequency does not interfere with the delivery of instruction or disrupt the normal school environment. Even if the visit is approved prior to the visitor’s arrival, the individual must check-in at the main office. All visitors are expected to demonstrate the highest standards of courtesy, conduct, and dress; disruptive behavior will not be permitted.
We appreciate so much the efforts of parent and grandparent volunteers that are willing to serve our district and students. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the main office at your child’s school for more information and to complete an application.
In addition, if you are visiting or volunteering in a Greenfield classroom, we ask that you refrain from bringing non-school age children with you. We also appreciate you not accessing your cell phone during this time. If you need to use your phone, please step out into the hallway.
When visiting for lunch or on party days, please remember that children enrolled on other campuses within the district are not permitted to be at Greenfield during regular school hours.