Student lead instruction. Try out new instruments before audition camps begin! Get to know other drumline members, get extra help with your audition materials. Not required but highly recommended.
- Mallet Preview – Wednesday, May 1st
- Bass Preview – Thursday, May 2nd
- Quad Preview – Friday, May 3rd
- Snare Preview – Monday, May 6th
Audition Camps (Required)
Battery and front ensemble instructional audition camps. Learn correct technique on marching instruments and demonstrate your percussion skills.
- Front Ensemble May 14th, 16th, 22nd from 5 - 6:30 pm
- Battery May 13th, 15th, 20th from 5 - 6:30 pm
Individual Auditions (Required)
Demonstrate your preparation in front of a panel of judges on your first choice instrument. Audition materials/music provided. You may audition for more than one instrument.
May 23rd @ 4:30pm
Each audition will take 10-20 minutes. First come, first serve.
Percussion Required Summer Dates
Bring all percussion supplies to every camp. Wear comfortable athletic clothing. These dates are required for all percussionists.
- Mini Camp June 3rd – 6th 9am – 1pm
- Drum Camp July 22nd – 25th 9am – 4pm
- Band Camp July 29th – August 15th
Sign up for the SHS Percussion Remind!
We use Remind to communicate any changes in scheduling, due dates, etc. All members are required to sign up.
Text @sosper to 81010
Percussion Equipment Checklist
Percussionists should already own items on this list. Check the quality of your equipment. Broken mallets or sticks will need to be replaced before Drum Camp on July 22nd. This is the bare minimum of equipment you should own to be successful as a freshman. If you have more sticks and mallets than this list requires – awesome! You can find everything you need on this list at lonestarpercussion.com
- 4 matching yarn marimba mallets In good condition. Not frayed or broken.
- Concert snare drum sticks *Drumset sticks do not count as concert snare sticks. If you are unsure if your sticks work, send a picture or brand description to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Timpani mallets
- Hard plastic bell/xylo mallets
- Black 1-inch binder with sheet protectors and pencil
Recommended additions to your stick bag
- Vibe mallets
- Marching snare sticks
- Different marimba mallets
The bigger and more diverse your stick bag, the better! As you get older, you should continuously add to your collection of sticks, mallets, and percussion equipment.
General Audition Information
- Audition participation is required for all percussionists for participation in the 2019 Saginaw Drumline
- Audition camps will begin the week of May 13th. These camps give students an overview of the section they are trying out for, and prepare them for individua auditions.
- Incoming 9th-grade students are required to attend all front ensemble camps (May 14th, 16th, and 22nd) and all battery camps (May 13th, 15th, and 20th)
- Students will be evaluated in individual and group auditions. Judges consist of EMS-ISD percussion staff and private lessons teachers. Judges will take preparation, playing ability, academics, and character into consideration during auditions.
- Individual auditions will begin on Thursday, May 23rd, and continue into May 27th if necessary.
- At the conclusion of this process, students will be placed on an instrument in the Saginaw Drumline where they will be the most successful.
- Students may be placed on an instrument they did not audition for.
- Audition results are final.