Kindergarten Grade Acceleration Procedures
Generally, children are best placed at a grade level with students of their own age. However, some students of kindergarten age may already have mastered the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for kindergarten and, for this reason, are ready to go on to first grade.
Students who enroll in Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD are eligible for kindergarten acceleration if the student meets the guidelines and criteria outlined below:
Prior to Testing
- In order to qualify for kindergarten acceleration, the student must be 5 as of September 1st and 6 on or before December 31st of the corresponding calendar year. If both these conditions exist, a parent/guardian may request that his/her child test for placement in first grade.
- A parent/guardian must schedule and attend a conference with the campus principal to determine eligibility for testing no later than the last day of April. The following documentation will be required at the time of the conference:
- Copy of the student’s birth certificate
- Proof of residency
- Written request for acceleration
- To determine whether testing and possible placement in first grade are the best options, parents and campus staff must consider the following: the academic, social, and emotional impact(s) that may follow the child throughout his/her education.
- If the student is recommended for accelerated testing, the parent will be responsible for adhering to the testing timeline listed below.
- Complete the Kindergarten Acceleration Credit by Exam Application Form no later than the first Friday in May.
- Register your child at his/her home campus no later than the last day of May. (This should be done at Kindergarten Roundup.)
- Testing will take place during the month of June. Testing dates are posted on the District Website and in the EM-S ISD Student Handbook available online.
- A letter stating the date, time and location of testing will be mailed to the parent/guardian. Parents/guardians who have not received this information by June 15th should contact the Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD Department of Assessment at 817-232-0880.
- On the assigned testing date, parent/guardian will sign their student in at the front office. Students will then be taken to the testing area by the proctor.
Determination of Placement
- In order for your child to advance to first grade, he/she must score 90% or above on the district approved assessments in English Language Arts/Reading and Math to be considered for acceleration. A copy of the test results will be mailed to the parent/guardian. A copy will be placed in the student’s permanent record.
- When recommending acceleration, consideration is given to students who can clearly function at an above average level academically and meet the social, emotional and behavioral demands of first grade, as well.
- A student placed in first grade will be re-evaluated after six weeks. At that time the decision will be made to leave the student in first grade or place the student in kindergarten.