EMS ISD School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
How do I become a member of SHAC?
To apply for the 2020-2021 school year, complete the application and email to email@example.com by July 30.
Why do we have a SHAC?
Title 2, Chapter 28, Section 28.004 of the Texas Education Code requires school districts to establish School Health Advisory Council to assist the district in ensuring that local community values are reflected in the district’s health education instruction.
What is the role of the SHAC?
The EMS ISD SHAC serves as an advisory council which provides recommendations, changes and/or additions to the school’s health education curriculum and instruction for consideration by the EMS ISD Board of Trustees.
The council will look at and discuss issues and concerns that impact the entire district, not just individual campuses.
- Ensuring that local community values are reflected in EMS ISD’s health education instruction;
- Fielding health education concerns from the community and bring them to a SHAC meeting for discussion;
- Providing leadership for health education concerns;
- Serving the EMS ISD Board of Education and submitting recommendations to the Board as needed.
Duties include recommending:
- The number of hours of instruction to be provided in health education;
- Curriculum appropriate for specific grade levels designed to prevent obesity, cardiovascular disease, and Type 2 diabetes through coordination of:
- health education
- physical education and physical activity
- parental involvement
- instruction to prevent the use of tobacco
- Appropriate grade levels and methods of instruction for human sexuality instruction; and
- Strategies for integrating the curriculum with the following elements in a coordinated school health program for the district:
- school health services
- counseling and guidance services
- a safe and healthy school environment
- school employee wellness
Click here to download the bylaws of the SHAC committee.