Homeless children & youth have the right to a free, appropriate public education.
The Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD is committed to ensuring that homeless children and youth have access to a quality education in our public schools. All EMS ISD campuses have a Homeless Education Liaison to assist families in need of information and assistance. All of our schools can help ease the difficulties encountered by homeless families.Who is homeless?
Anyone who, due to a lack of housing, lives:
- In emergency or transitional shelters
- In motels, hotels, campgrounds, abandoned in hospitals, or awaiting foster care
- In cars, parks, public places, bus or train stations, or abandoned buildings
- Doubled up with relatives or friends
- Migratory children living in these conditions
What are your rights?
- Homeless children have a right to attend school.
- You do not need a permanent address to enroll your child in school.
- Homeless children have the right to stay in their home school if the parents choose.
- Your child cannot be denied school enrollment just because school records or other enrollment documentation are not immediately available.
- Your child has the opportunity to receive transportation services to and from the school of origin.
- Your child has the right to participate in extracurricular activities and all federal, state, or local programs for which he/she is eligible.
Other programs offered at school:
- Free breakfast and lunch programs
- Possible transportation assistance for children to remain in their home school
- Tutoring program
- Programs to help children learn English
Tips and resources:
For more information on homeless education click here or contact Dr. Mary Jones at (817)232-0880 ext. 2601.
- Keep a copy of birth certificates and school records accessible.
- Safeguard all health and immunization records.
- Have a reliable person keep a second copy of birth certificates, school records and health information.
- Enroll children in school as soon as possible.
- Inform your new school about any special education records that pertain to your child.