Credit by Exam
Credit-by-Exam is a test for a student to demonstrate mastery in a subject or to earn course credit by passing the exam. The Credit-by-Exam test covers the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills in the content area being tested.Kindergarten acceleration: a student must score 80 percent or above on the following tests: language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies to be placed in first grade.
Grades 1-5: To skip a grade level, the student must score 80 percent or higher in each of the following areas: language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies to be placed in the next grade level.Grades 6-12: Credit by Examination Without Prior Instruction (Secondary): the student must score an 80 percent or above on all exams for acceleration for the applicable course. If such credit is given, the District shall enter the examination score on the student's transcript.Grades 6-12: Credit by Examination With Prior Instruction (Secondary): the student must score 70 percent or above on all exams for acceleration for the applicable course. If such credit is given, the District shall enter the examination score on the student's transcript.For more information, an explanation of the process, or interest in obtaining acceleration by exam, please contact your campus administrator or campus counselor. Eagle Mountain - Saginaw ISD will not offer examinations for credit on dates other than the scheduled dates.Fall 2022 Testing for Grades 9-12Testing Date: October 11, 2022Deadline for registration: September 9, 2022Spring 2023 Testing for Grades 9-12Testing Date: February 21, 2023Deadline for registration: January 20, 2023Summer 2023 Testing for Grade Levels K-12Testing Dates: June 6 & 7, 2023Deadline for registration: April 21, 2023Testing Dates: July 11 & 12, 2023Deadline for registration is May 18, 2023No late applications will be accepted after the deadline.
To take the 2022-2023 Credit-by-Exam test(s), you must complete an application. A $25.00 deposit for each test is required to process your application. The deposit will be returned to those students taking the test when the results are mailed home. Click on the links below to download the appropriate application.
Credit by Exam Procedure and Guidelines
It is the responsibility of the Parent/ Student to notify the Assessment Department of any accommodations routinely received for assessments.
Credit by Exam with Prior Instruction, which requires a deposit of $25.00 per exam
- This exam is available to a student who has failed a grade or subject area or needs to validate credits.
- To receive full credit for a high school course, a student has to take part A and part B of the subject. The cost is $25.00 for each part (example: English IA & English IB equals one full credit and will cost $50.00). On the form, please indicate which part you are taking.
- Students who take Credit by Exam with prior instruction must show a mastery of 70% or higher on each exam taken.
Credit by Exam without Prior Instruction, which requires a deposit of $25.00 per exam
Applications and deposits for testing may be given to your home campus or mailed to:Eagle Mountain-Saginaw ISD Testing Department
- The exam is available for students wanting to advance a grade level or test out of a class. Students will test in each of these subject areas: reading, math, science, and social studies to advance a grade level. Each of these exams requires a $25.00 deposit for a total deposit of $100.00 for a student to test out of one grade level. High school students will need to speak directly to a counselor for additional assistance.
- If a student wants to receive full credit for a high school course, such as English I, they will need to take parts A & B, each of these parts requires a $25.00 deposit for a total deposit of $50.00.
- Students (grades 1 – 12) who take Credit by Exam without prior instruction to advance a grade level or receive credit for a specific course must show mastery of 80% or higher on each exam taken.
- Students entering kindergarten who take the Credit by Exam must show mastery of 80% or higher on each exam taken (reading, math, science, and social studies) to advance to the first grade.
- Upon completion of all exams, the deposit will be returned to the parent.
Mary Jones, Ed.D.
1600 Mustang Rock Road
Fort Worth, TX 76179